Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Love Child

Recently, I’ve done a lot of thinking about my creative identity.  Based on several (highly unscientific) polls of friends and family, comments from writing instructors and classmates and a review of my acting credits (www.julieevansmith.com if you are interested in my bona fides), the time has come to announce my creative DNA.  It goes something like this:
If Laura Linney, David Sedaris and Eve Ensler had a three-way, I would be their creative love child. 
So that’s good to know, right?  Sure, if I need to do my “elevator pitch” anytime soon to an agent at CAA.  But I’m trying to determine which of the several unfinished projects in my BIG FAT WRITING BINDER (thank you, Sofphronia Scott), to concentrate on.  Yes, the collection of personal essays is scratching at the door of my brain to get out, ready for the Barnes & Noble book tour.  At the same time, the actress in me wants to create a one woman show in order to showcase my talents and feed the significant part of my soul that loves being onstage.  Then there’s the activist side of me, the one concerned about women’s rights and female autonomy in a world still considerably hostile to the female sex despite it being the 21st Fucking Century!!  Judging from my creative DNA, the answer is obvious, isn’t it?
I need to write a funny solo show about abortion.
That should be easy, right?!  ‘Cause we all know that abortion is A) hilarious and B) a subject that is not remotely controversial.  Everyone is like “WHERE is that comical show about reproductive rights that I keep waiting for?  Sheesh – I wish someone would hurry up and produce THAT play.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment